Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Vocabulary

I am always a bit torn when it comes to direct vocabulary instruction. For the most part, it seems so pointless and dull. Here: look up this word and use it in a sentence. Now it's committed to your memory forever. These words they have to look up seem to be esoteric and antiquated. Is it necessary to learn words that have been basically purged from our spoken and modern written language? So many paradoxes rise for me when I think about it - especially since I am a word-lover who gets a thrill over finding a word I have not even heard before.

I have to say, though, that the question about vocabulary instruction is answered when a student has difficulty answering a question in an assignment due to not knowing a word. That's it. Debate over. Yes, it's needed. The way to do it, though, is a good question. I can't tell if the worksheets currently used in class have made as much progress as possible as several students were unable to recall vocabulary words from previous worksheets.

I think the way to do it is to invite discovery from students, instead of assigning discovery to them. This is much easier for me to say than to actually make into a real lesson; however, I think most people have a natural curiosity to know unknown words (unless too many are presented in a row or the reading is too complicated, but that is just considered frustration). I think there's a way to tap into this, but it will just be something I will consider for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment